Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Kraken

I have to admit that I was pretty cynical about The Umbrella Academy when it was first announced - a superhero comic written by a rock star (Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance)? Pssssh. There have been a few celebrities to try their hand at "writing" comics and the results are usually pretty lame, low-grade attempts to exploit comics' current fashionability as movie pitch packages.

I originally picked up The Umbrella Academy on the strength of the artist, the amazing Gabriel Ba, and was pretty surprised to discover that I actually really enjoyed reading it - maybe it's Way's pre-rockstar background as an intern at DC Comics, but rather than an awkward vanity project I thought the book was well-written and engagingly off-beat, in the vein of Grant Morrison's early work on Doom Patrol (one of my favourite comics as a kid). I haven't yet read the current miniseries, "Dallas," but I look forward to picking it up once it's collected.

Anyway all this to say I was sketching last night for fun and I did this drawing of The Kraken.

No comments:

Post a Comment