Tuesday, November 1, 2011

An Independent Bookstore is Born


This month, Avid Bookshop opened its doors in Athens, Georgia, three years after proprietor Janet Geddis was struck with the desire to own a bookstore. Geddis started with no bookselling experience nor any financial backing, but since 2008 she has sought wisdom from the best in the business and raised enough money to get her charming brick-and-mortar store up and running.

From an interview in The Millions...

The Millions: What made you want to open a bookstore–especially at this juncture in the world of reading?

Janet Geddis: I love books. I will refrain from discussing how much I love touching them and smelling them and that whole true but perhaps overdone monologue. I opened Avid Bookshop for so many reasons, but one that comes to mind at the moment involves the sheer number of books that are out there. There’s more out there to read than at any other time in the world, and the number of options is growing exponentially. Readers can use help from us to discover which of those books should be their next read.

For me, owning a bookstore is the perfect way to combine several things I am passionate about: my city, reading, bringing people together, and talking about books.

No comments:

Post a Comment