Friday, February 12, 2010

Batman & Robin #7 - More Layouts

Here's a few more pages of digital layouts from issue 7 of Batman and Robin.







I got a little carried away drawing Batwoman here, this was just the layout stage!



Ah, this is the page with the infamous lettering error which confounded so many people and made them think it was one of Grant's more experimental works. As you can see, the page was laid out with the characters oriented consistently from left to right, but after I'd completed the final artwork I was asked to reverse panel 3 because the dialogue (which is written after the art is completed) required Batwoman to be on the left. I did make the change but somewhere along the way the original art file was used by mistake, and thousands of readers scratched their head in puzzlement.






Note the difference in the final page - this was my first attempt at it and felt that the hand exploding from the pit didn't have the right dramatic effect with the characters standing in the background. However there was dialogue that needed to be on this page, and so the compromise for the final was to split it into two panels. I don't quite think it works as well as I'd wanted but that's how it goes sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment